Makhana ( lotus seeds, fox nuts) is a popular food which is preferably eaten during fasting, has health benefits superior to many dry fruits like Almonds and walnuts. It is rich in antioxidants, proteins, magnesium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, fibre and zinc. It helps in weight loss, it is good for diabetics as well. Makhana can be used in various recipes. It can be used to make gravy, raita, namkeen, sweet and many more. I have Makhana with almonds to make burfi. You can also make makhana oats ladoo ( I’ll post the recipe soon), makhana kheer, makhana halwa and many more.
Almonds as we all know is Super Food. Almonds should be consumed daily as they are rich in healthy fats, fibre, magnesium, protein and vitamin E. Almonds helps to reduce blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels also. They promote weight loss.
So let’s come to our recipe where two super foods have come together to give a delicious dessert makhana badam burfi.
- 15 pieces
- 20 minutes
- 20 minutes
- Roasted Makhana powder - 1 cup
- Badam powder - ¾ th cup
- Sugar - 2 cups
- Water - 1 cup
- Ghee - 3 tbsp
- Saffron strands - 10
- Milk - 2 tbsp
- Soak Almonds in hot water for 2 hours or soak them overnight.
- In a pan add 1 tbsp of ghee and roast makhana till they turn crispy.
- Remove the skin of Almonds and dry them on a soft cloth till they are completely dry.
- Now grind Makhana and Almonds separately to a coarse powder.
- Now in a pan add sugar and water and allow it to boil till you get one string consistency.( For one string consistency you always need to take half the quantity of water to that of sugar and you will get one string in 5 to 7 minutes)
- Add saffron strands when the sugar syrup is boiling.
- Now add 2 tbsp of milk ( By this your burfi will get a nice smooth texture, by adding milk when sugar just starts to dissolve in water will also help to remove the dirt which will there in sugar, but i have added later as my sugar was clean and also to get my burfi a good consistency)
- Now switch off the flame and add makhana and badam powder and ensure that there are no lumps.
- Now on the stove and keep stirring in a low to medium heat.
- After 5 to 7 minutes, when just the mixture starts to leave the pan add the remaining ghee.
- Keep mixing till the mixture completely leaves the pan and forms a dough and moves in pan.( you can also take a small amount and make a ball, if it forms a ball then your burfi is ready to be set, this process should be done with wet palm)
- Transfer the contents to a greased plate and spread it using greased spatula.
- Allow it to cool and cut it in your desired shape.(This may take 1 hour and if you are not getting pieces which sometimes happens when you prepare burfi put it back to pan and mix it again, you can add 1 tbsp of ghee also)
- Healthy and tasty Makhana Badam Burfi is ready to be served.
More delicious recipes
This one of the many fanastic recipes available on this blog