Rava Paddu/ Paniyaram/ Rava Appe/ Rava Gundpongalu
A very easy breakfast recipe which turns out very tasty. It is also loaded with vegetables which adds to its health quotient.
A special kind of pan is used to make this paddu. This pan has cavities or holes to put batter. This is a multipurpose pan which can also be used to make healthier version of deep fried items like koftas, bhajias, vada and many more with less oil.
Paddu is basically made by soaking urad dal and raw rice which needs grinding and fermenting. This version of paddu needs 10 minutes of preparation and 15 minutes of cooking and our first batch of rava paddu gets ready.
Rava paddu need not be constricted only to breakfast can also be made as evening snacks or even light dinner. Goes well with onion chutney, coconut chutney and tomato chutney.
- 2 people
- 10 minutes
- 15 minutes
- Semolina (Rava) - 1 cup
- Curd - ½ cup
- Onion - 1 ( small)
- Grated carrot - 1
- Freshly grated coconut - 4 tbsp
- Green chillies - 3 to 4
- Curry leaves - 10
- Coriander leaves - 2 to 3 tbsp
- Salt - 1 ½ tbsp
- Water - ½ cup
- Baking soda - 1 pinch
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- In a large mixing bowl add rava, finely chopped onion, grated carrot, grated coconut, finely chopped green chillies, finely chopped curry leaves, coriander leaves and salt ( I have used chiroti rava, you can also use normal rava. But chiroti rava or small grain rava is a better option)
- Add curd and mix it.
- Now to bring it to dosa batter consistency, add required amount of water slowly and mix it.
- Add a pinch of soda to the batter and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Keep the paddu pan for heating and fill each cavity with ½ tsp of oil.
- Once the pan is hot, start filling the cavities with batter carefully. (Don’t add too much batter, as it swells when it gets cooked)
- Close the pan and allow them to cook on one side on low to medium heat.
- It takes around 8 to 10 minutes to cook on one side. ( It also varies on the amount of flame from stove to stove. In mine it took 10 minutes on one side in medium heat)
- Once they turn brown in colour, flip them and allow them to cook on other side also.( Do keep checking otherwise they may burn also )
- When they are cooked on both sides, serve them hot with chutney.
- I have used onion and grated carrot, you can skip onion and add finely chopped cabbage,capsicum if you prepare them on festivals.
More delicious recipes
This one of the many fanastic recipes available on this blog