A plate of aromatic basmati rice served with hot creamy, thick rajma curry is just mouthwatering.
This recipe needs no introduction. A complete meal by itself is totally delight to eat when it is served with onions.
Rajma masala is prepared with onion, tomato, ginger, garlic and other Indian spices. Every household prepare rajma masala in different ways. This method is how I prepare at my house. Now let’s have a look at the recipe.
- 2 people
- 1 day
- 45 mins
- Rajma or red kidney beans - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 ( big)
- Tomato - 4
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Green chilly - 4
- Big Cardamom( badi elaichi) - 1
- Cinnamon stick - half inch
- Bay leaf - 1
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
- Red chilly powder - ½ tbsp
- Salt - according to taste
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Butter - 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp
- Garam masala - ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Soak rajma overnight in water ( this step is very important as we need a creamy textured rajma masala and the rajma has to melt in mouth, sometimes it remains hard on cooking also. For this while selecting rajma, buy which are new and not too old, as the older rajma gets it takes lot of time to cook. If you are buying a packet check the manufacturing date and then buy)
- Now in a cooker add soaked rajma, add water above the level of rajma as it ensures proper cooking of rajma. To this add ½ tbsp of salt, badi elaichi, cinnamon stick, bay leaf. Now close the cooker lid and cook in high flame for 1 whistle and in low flame for 20 mins( around 5 to 6 whistles).( I have not used soaked rajma water for cooking, I have used fresh water )
- On the other side, In a pan add ghee, after the ghee melts add cumin seeds, to this add finely chopped onion ( remember onion has to be finely chopped as it has get properly mixed with tomato gravy)
- Cook the onion till they turn brown .
- While the onions are cooking, add chopped tomatoes, ginger, garlic and green chilly to a mixer jar and grind them to a smooth paste.
- When the onions turn brown, add the ground paste and cook till they release ghee and raw smell disappears.
- To this add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chilly powder and mix them properly.
- Now , when the rajma is cooked open the cooker lid and add the masala paste, butter to it and mix it.
- Now close the lid of cooker and give one more whistle in medium flame.
- Now our yummy, creamy and tasty rajma masala is ready. Finally add garam masala and coriander leaves.
- Rajma masala is ready to be served. I have served with chawal here as this combination is unbeatable.
More delicious recipes
This one of the many fanastic recipes available on this blog