Thovve is a combination of vegetables and lentils. This can be made with toor dal or moong dal with or without vegetable also. Thovve or dal has less oil and is very healthy. It is little liquidy and goes well with hot rice and also with chapathi.
Ridge gourd has many health benefits. It reduces hyperacidity, good for diabetics, low in calories and cholesterol, helps to get rid of constipation, high in vitamin C, and a good source of dietary fibre, riboflavin, thiamin, zinc, iron, manganese and magnesium. It also helps in detoxing and preventing acne.
Here i have used toor dal or split pigeon peas, which is a good source of protein, controls cholesterol and improves digestion.
Thovve is a healthy packed meal and can be consumed from small children till old age people as it is mildly flavoured with less oil, less spice.
- 2 people
- 20 minutes
- 15 minutes
- Ridge gourd - 1
- Toor dal - ½ cup
- Green chillies - 3
- Freshly grated coconut - 4 tbsp
- Curry leaves - 10
- Coriander leaves - 3 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - ⅓ tsp
- Hing ( asafoetida ) - A pinch
- Salt - 1 tbsp
- Juice of half lemon
- A pinch of turmeric
- Wash and cut ridge gourd in bite size pieces.
- Wash and soak toor dal for 15 minutes (If you use moong dal no need to soak)
- In a cooker add toor dal, ridge gourd along with ¼ tsp of oil and turmeric ( i have soaked toor dal as ridge gourd gets cooked faster than dal, if you are using moong dal you can cook outside in pan )
- Pressure cook it for 2 whistles in medium flame.
- After the pressure is released add the dal and vegetable mixture in a pan or vessel.
- On the flame and add freshly grated coconut, salt and coriander leaves. You can adjust the consistency of dal by adding required amount of water.
- It it boil for 10 minutes, by the side in a small tadka pan add the remaining oil.
- To this add mustard seeds, when they splutter add green chillies and curry leaves.
- Now add this tadka or oggarane to thovve and mix it .
- Allow it to boil for 2 more minutes and switch off the flame.
- Now squeeze lemon juice to thovve and it is ready to be served.
More delicious recipes
This one of the many fanastic recipes available on this blog