A authentic south indian dish, it is full of fibre and all the necessary minerals as it is made of channa dal and urad dal ..it can be enjoyed with dosa, idly, chapathi and also with hot rice with little ghee on top it tastes splendid..we get it shops but homemade is always fresh healthy and tasty.
- 2 cups
- 15 minnutes
- 25 minutes
- Channa dal - 1 cup
- Urad dal- 1 cup
- Red chilly (i have used the bydagi variety )25 to 30
- Hing (asofoetida) - one pinch
- Musturd seeds - 1 tsp
- Tamarind - small lemon sized quantity
- Shredded Dry coconut- ½ cup
- Jaggery - 1 to 2 tbsp
- Salt - 1½ tsp
- Oil- 2 to 3 tsp
- Curry leaves - 30
- Take a heavy bottom pan (preferably big as we put all the ingredients to roast in the pan at end so a big pan is required )
- Keep the pan to heat for 2 mins and then add channa dal and dry roast in low flame till the dal changes its colour and we start to get the aroma of roasted dal (remember to dry roast dal in low flame if we do it in high flame there are chances of dal getting burnt)
- Take the roasted channa dal in a plate and in the same pan add urad dal and roast the dal till it changes the colour (Follow the same procedure as you did for roasting channa dal)
- Take the roasted urad dal in the same plate along with channa dal .
- Heat the oil in pan ,when the oil is heated add musturd seeds ,when they splutter add hing, curry leaves and red chilles
- Fry the red chilles for 2 mins and then add shredded dry coconut, roasted dal,tamarind ,salt and jaggery .
- Fry all the items for 5 mins or until the red chilles turn crisp .
- Now when then mixture is roasted for 5 mins turn of the flame and let the mixture cool .
- When the mixture is cooled grind it to fine powder.
- Take the chutney powder in a wide plate and allow it cool (grinding makes the mixture warm )
- After it is cooled store the chutney powder in an air tight container and enjoy it with hot rice with a dallop of ghee or with hot idlies , dosas .
- Tip- after all the items are roasted we can keep it in sunlight for one hour it acts as natural preservative and helps to preserve chutney powder for a long time
More delicious recipes
This one of the many fanastic recipes available on this blog