Sabudana Khichdi can be relished for breakfast, dinner and even during fasts.
It is important to soak sabudana with the right amount of water and for the right duration. My first attempt was a complete disaster as I had used excess water to soak it, and it got stuck to the pan so badly that I could not wash my pan for 3 days.
Now, I do it weekly once and have tried all the varieties of sabudana like kheer, khichdi, vada, thalipeeth, idly, papad and many more. My husband likes sabudana khichdi a lot and he says that I make the best sabudana khichdi. So thought to share my recipe with you.
Sabudana in water Soaked Sabudana after 4 hours.
- 2 people
- 4 hours
- 20 mins
- Sabudana - 1 cup
- Boiled potatoes - 3
- Groundnuts - ½ cup
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Green chilly - 3
- Sugar - ½ tsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves
- Soak sabudana in water for 3 to 4 hours (soaking of sabudana in correct quantity of water is very important. In a vessel add 1 cup of sabudana and wash it thoroughly. Now add water to the exact level of sabudana, not more or not less than that. If we go by measures for 1 cup of sabudana it will take ¾ th cup of water or a little less than that )
- Now dry roast groundnuts in low flame till you can hear them splutter. Boil potatoes simultaneously.
- Grind groundnuts to coarse powder. (I did not remove the skin of groundnuts, if you want you can remove the skin, but it is not necessary)
- After 4 hours our soaked sabudana is ready, they absorb water and turn soft and increase in volume. To this sabudana add the groundnut powder, salt, sugar and oil and mix it properly ( I am using oil so that sabudana will not stick to each other )
- Now in a pan, add ghee when it is hot add cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds splutter add finely chopped green chilly, curry leaves, whole groundnuts and boiled potatoes. ( cut potatoes in small cubes )
- Fry boiled potatoes till they turn crispy. It takes around 5 to 7 mins ( by doing this the potatoes will be tasty to eat. Sprinkle some salt on top of potatoes )
- Add the sabudana mixture to the pan.
- Mix everything properly and allow the sabudana to cook.
- Close the lid of pan for 5 mins and allow it to cook. In between keep mixing, or else it will stick to the bottom of the pan.
- The indication of sabudana being cooked will be that the pearls turn transparent and when you press a pearl or one single sago they would have turned soft.
- It takes around 10 mins. Garnish it with coriander serve.
- Sabudana khichdi is ready to serve.
More delicious recipes
This one of the many fanastic recipes available on this blog