Okra is my personal favourite vegetable. Gojju ( sabji) made of okra is a combination of sweet,sour,spice goes well with hot rice, chapathi, phulka. Gojju is very famous in karnataka and also can be made with other vegetables like bittergourd, chayote, brinjal, onion and pineapple.
Okra is rich in potassium, Vitamin B, Vitamin C, calcium, fibre and the seeds contain folic acid and manages blood sugar. It is also called lady’s finger.
- 3 people
- 10 minutes
- 25 minutes
- Okra - 250 gm
- Tamarind - 1 tbsp
- Jaggery - ½ tbsp
- Salt - 1 tbsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Jeera - ½ tsp
- Menthya - ¼ tsp
- Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
- Channa dal - 1 tbsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Turmeric - ½ tsp
- Fresh coconut - ½ cup
- Red chillies - 5 - 6
- Sesame seeds(yellu) - 1 tsp
- In a pan add 1 tbsp of oil , once oil is heated add the cut okra and allow it to fry ( you can cut okra in a ½ inch or 1 inch pieces depending on your requirement )
- In an other pan add 1 tsp of oil , when the oil is hot add channa dal and fry it for few seconds then add urad dal , jeera , menthya , coriander seeds and fry it ( i have added channa dal first as it takes a little longer time to get fried than urad dal )
- Now when the dal starts to change their colour add sesame seeds and red chillies ,after few seconds sesame seeds will start to splutter and red chillies will turn crispy now switch off the stove and then add coconut and mix it well ( do remember to fry all these in minimum flame , allow the mixture to cool )
- Meanwhile our okra would have got fried and shrinked in size , add tamarind juice , jaggery and salt . let it cook in tamarind juice for 2 mins ..( soak tamarind in water for half an hour)
- Grind the cooled mixture using required amount of water to smooth paste .
- Now add masala paste to okra and let it boil for 20 to 25 mins till vegetable absorbs all the masala
- Delicious bendekayi gojju( okra gojju ) is ready to be served with hot rice or chapathi .
Tip : Frying of okra properly is important otherwise you will feel the stickiness of okra in gojju.
More delicious recipes
This one of the many fanastic recipes available on this blog