Raw mangoes are a treasure of good health. They contain an acid which helps to ease digestion and control constipation. They are highly beneficial in treating scruvy, prevents dehydration, treats Gastro-Intestinal disorders and also liver disorders.
A recent study shows that one unripe mango yields as much Vitamin-C as 35 apples, 18 bananas, 9 lemons and 3 oranges.
An Indian Meal is incomplete without pickles. These pickles can also be eaten with Idly, Dosa, Roti, Rice and Curd Rice. Pickles can also be made with lemon, mix vegetables and the list goes on.
There is one point which we have to remember while making pickles, the vessels which we use should be completely dry and also our hands should be dry.
I have made pickles using two raw mangoes and the measurements I have given is according to that, you can increase the quantity when you are making larger quantity.
- 500 gm
- 10 minutes
- 20 minutes
- Raw Mangoes - 2
- Methi seeds ( Menthya) - ½ tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Red Chillies - 15
- Oil - 10 tbsp
- Hing - 1 pinch
- Salt - 3 tbsp
- Turmeric - 1 tsp
- Wash and dry raw mangoes completely.
- Cut the raw mangoes in small pieces.
- Heat 10 tbsp of oil till boil and allow it to cool.
- In a small pan dry roast methi seeds. ( be careful while roasting methi seeds, don’t over roast them, else they will turn bitter )
- In a mixer jar add red chillies, mustard seeds and roasted methi seeds and blend them to coarse powder.( keep red chillies in sunlight till they turn crispy before grinding them)
- Now in a glass/porcelein vessel ( don’t use steel or plastic ) add raw mangoes, salt, turmeric, hing and grinded mixture and mix it.
- Now add cooled oil and mix it properly.
- Now transfer this mixture to a glass or procelain jar and allow it to marinate for 10 to 15 days or even more. Pickles gets tastier as it ages.
- Raw mango pickles is ready. You can take small amounts from the jar, add mustard and hing tadka before serving.
More delicious recipes
This one of the many fanastic recipes available on this blog